Tuesday, June 21, 2011

then there were only nine

This morning when I got up, "rainbow" boy, identified by the color of his rick rack, wasn't doing well.  He was away from his siblings and cooler to the touch than he should be.  I tucked him in my shirt to warm him up.  After a bit I tried to put him on his mom to suckle but he didn't have the strength so I warmed up a little water with just a bit of molasses in it for the sugar and gave him several drops of that.  I weighed everybody else before our vet appointment; everyone was at least back up to their birth weight.  They usually lose a little weight the day after their birth, but add it back on within a day or so, so they're right on track.  I didn't weigh rainbow, since he was colder than I would like I didn't want to expose him to anything even cool, like the plastic scale.

I had already decided that he wouldn't have his dew claws done while the others did this morning, he didn't need any extra stress.  When we got to the vet Dr. Kriegal looked at him first.  He listened to his breathing and his heart, etc. We got him on a heating pad and gave him a little warmed Esbilac (puppy milk replacer).  I stayed with him with my hand on him under the blanket he was wrapped in while the others got their dew claws removed.  He warmed up and seemed content but he died a short time later.  It doesn't make it any easier losing them at three days old.  I loved him from the moment he was conceived and I grieve for his little self now.  Many thanks to the awesome, caring staff at Campbell Animal Hospital.  I've been taking my dogs there for over twenty years.

The others are doing well, a bit fussy which is to be expected after the proceedure.  Tommie was stressed and couldn't seem to settle when we got back, but she's getting a little better now.

1 comment:

  1. Rest well, sweet rainbow boy. We didn't have enough time. We love you.

    Grammy

    ReplyDelete